Apply for This Position Learn More About Us
At SquarePlanet, we believe in making waves.
This band of cheery pirates exists to change the way business communicates. It does not need to be boring. It shouldn’t suck.
We’re looking for another pirate to join our cause. And this isn’t the horn of Africa or Johnny Depp kind of pirate, no. This is the break the rules, take risks, “think different “ like Steve Jobs kind of pirate.
We’re a small, creative, fun crew, which means we work on a wide variety of projects. This role is no different.
First and Foremost Our Promise to You
At SquarePlanet, we believe it’s our responsibility to answer the all-important question “WIIFM?” If you aren’t familiar, that stands for “what’s in it for me?” Well, we’re glad you asked. We believe the relationship between an employee and the company s/he represents should be one of mutual benefit. And we want you to know that we take this philosophy to heart and actually act on it. So what will we give you as a member of our team?
A Safe Place to Work. And by safe we not only mean a place free from ax murderers and carjackers, we mean a place where psychological safety is practiced. Every member of our team believes that creating a nurturing environment where everyone can show up as the full version of themselves is the foundation to our success. We’ll bring you into our little family immediately and do everything we can to make you feel like a valued contributor from day one. We want to know your strengths, weaknesses, dreams and fears. We’re too fanatical about engineering delight for our clients to allow internal politics and BS to slow us down. And we’ve found that the fastest way to eliminate the nonsense is to get real with each other and act more like a family than a business.
Money. We’ll pay you what you’re worth and likely a little bit more. We believe people are the only sustainable competitive advantage in business and we put our money where our mouth is.
Benefits. We know how important it is to feel like you have the appropriate safety net for life’s unpredictable moments. Whether it’s medical, a 401(k) or flexibility in your schedule to accommodate for normal life stuff, we always lean toward generosity.
Learning & Growth. Over the course of our company’s history, one lesson has been etched in stone. When our teammates feel like they’re growing and being challenged, they consistently rise to the challenges we face and hit them with optimism and enthusiasm. We know that creating value for both our clients and SquarePlanet makes all the difference. That’s why we believe it’s our responsibility to invest in your growth and development while you’re in our care. When we do that, everyone wins.
Here’s what to expect:
- A job that’s a mash-up of project manager, office manager, executive assistant, and everything in between. We’re small, so that means we all wear lots of different hats. This role in particular is the master of hat wearing. Expect hat hair.
- You’ll be the keeper and driver of the calendar, you’ll own the schedule – particularly when it comes to the founder, he needs help in a big way. Seriously. He really does.
- Be ready to manage clients and lead email and phone communications with them. And you’ll further cultivate those relationships by embodying SquarePlanet and its beliefs. This means you need to be smart, fun, kind and even a bit snarky.
- Being the first line of defense on inquiries – whether it’s phone calls, messages through the website, or acquaintances of the company – respond kindly and field any questions you can.
- Ushering projects down the pipeline – from making sure the parameters are understood by both parties, developing production schedules and creating contracts, reaching out to vendors, searching out solutions to oddball problems, requesting invoices be sent…you are the gas pedal to keep projects moving forward.
- Along those same lines, having a pulse on potential clients, current projects, and work that’s wrapping up to ensure necessary tasks get done. Essentially being the keeper of all information since the beginning of time.
- You will be the make-things-happen person! Being the catch-all for things like assembling and shipping items, picking/dropping things off, ordering things, etc. And if it’s not clear who will do it, it’s probably you. What are these things? Marketing campaign materials, mail, office supplies, lunch, Pepto-Bismol, you name it. But don’t worry – the rest of the team will be there to jump in and help with whatever is needed. Remember all the hats? Yeah, we wear a bunch too! Nobody is an island.
- Gathering, inputting, and updating information on leads, client contact info, internal databases (we have a Story Bank, Birthday Bank, Piggy Bank..kidding).
- Being an extra set of eyes for all things proofing – an affinity for details will go a long way
You’ll need to be a consummate professional. We believe that all members of our team, as well as our clients, treat each other with honesty, respect, and compassion. We are serious about integrity, doing the right thing no matter what is mission-critical.
You should have a strong desire to follow our protocol and procedure. But, you’re expected to speak up if you know a better way. You should be thrilled to jump in and help, knowing your greatest responsibility is actually to your fellow employees first.
You’d be a great candidate if you hit the traits below, in no particular order
1) You’re a nice person that people generally like. Your nana doesn’t count, sorry. Having experience is real, but it’s less important than attitude. We’re keen on sunny, personable people; Negative Nancy or Sullen Sam need not apply.
2) You can effectively communicate with team members and clients. That means a certain maturity and confidence. It means you are able to write a cogent email, speak on the phone professionally and carry yourself in-person like a true pro. It means using Snapchat and Instagram are not your best methods of communicating.
3) You know how to juggle. Okay, you don’t really need to know how to juggle, you just need to be able to handle various tasks, personalities, and deadlines at a single time. But frankly, it wouldn’t hurt your chances if you could actually juggle. Just sayin’.
4) Are you a slower learner? Need long hours to digest material for full comprehension? Is your spirit animal a desert tortoise? Does the mere notion of a crock-pot put a smile on your face? Yeah, you’re gonna fail here.
4) You pay attention to the details. We’re all human (you ARE human, right?), but our philosophy is to make BIG mistakes, not small ones. Spell a client’s name wrong = very bad. Take ownership of your work and confidently pitch an idea to a client even if nobody else has seen it, only to have it crash and burn? We’ll shake it off and applaud you for your gusto. Mistakes happen, it’s how you recover that matters. We’re not expecting perfect, but we are looking for professionals who care about the work and the approach taken around that work… and the type of folks that have already spotted the double-four in this numbered list. See what we did there?
5) You effectively utilize the biologically-driven ratio of two ears and one mouth. This means you listen more than you talk. Our founder is the notable exception to this rule and it is what it is.
6) Desire to join a small, vibrant company built around great culture and great work. SquarePlanet enjoys an enviable client list of world class brands that contract us to provide high-value work in a timely, professional manner. The expectation is that all employees fit that same mold.
7) You are a master of Asana, Word, Excel, Google products (like the calendar and docs) and / or are very willing to learn in record time.
8) You are proactive! Your job, perhaps more than anything else, is to push our projects and our people forward. You aren’t pushy, but you are helpful, proactive and take action when you see it’s necessary. See a deadline rapidly approaching and we haven’t heard back from the client? Two courses of action you can take: 1) wait on the client or 2) contact the client. If you think waiting is the way to go, this job isn’t for you.
The Basic Requirements
- College Degree
- 3-5 years of work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A self starter who doesn’t need a to-do list handed over on a silver platter
- You don’t smell like dirty shoes
- You can take direction well and can create miles from inches
- Willingness to travel occasionally
- You live in the Valley of the Sun. Our world headquarters is centrally located near Piestewa (Squaw) Peak.
- Or you live in the Great City of Chicago, our Midwest office is loctated near the Ravenswood neighborhood.
SquarePlanet offers a work culture where you are deeply valued and cared for. We have a cool, collaborative environment, where we laugh, swear, and work late regularly. And we sincerely enjoy our time together as a team.
Additionally, we offer a competitive salary, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) retirement package; a generous PTO policy; 9 paid holidays, a pair of custom Nike shoes upon your one-year anniversary; a truly congenial, collaborative, and professional work environment; copious amounts of creative freedom and a client list you’d be proud to be associated with.
Apply for This Position Learn More About Us